“To be a feminist is to acknowledge that one’s life has been regressed. The demand for granting preferential treatment to women is an admission on her part of her inferiority and there has been no need for such a thing in India as the women have always been by the side of men in Council and in the fields of battle…. We must have no mutual conflict in our homes or abroad. We must transcend differences. We must rise above nationalism, above religion, above sex.”
– Sarojini Naidu
(at the Fourth session of All India Women’s Conference, Bombay, 1930)
- Equal does not mean same; Men and women are different but are equally entitled to constitutional rights and human rights.
- Equality of opportunity does not mean equality of outcome; Men and women must maintain their self-esteem and earn respect and reward by proving their true individual worth.
- Equality under law is essential irrespective of gender; Men and women should be given equal protection from and equal punishment for any crime.
- Equal rights beget equal responsibilities; Men and women must not only enjoy equal rights but they must also shoulder equal responsibilities.
The “TEN” Commandments:
- Doing injustice to men is not equal to Doing justice to women.
- Oppressing men is not equal to Uplifting women.
- Harming men is not equal to Protecting women.
- Disempowering men is not equal to Empowering women.
- Denying opportunities to men is not equal to Providing opportunities for women.
- Penalizing men is not equal to Rewarding women.
- Degrading men is not equal to Honouring women.
- Undermining men’s lives is not equal to Valuing women’s lives.
- Neglecting men’s welfare is not equal to Promoting women’s welfare.
- Violating men’s rights is not equal to Upholding women’s rights.
ON WOMEN’S DAY, 8 MARCH 2010
JOIN THE MOVEMENT FOR REAL EMPOWERMENT!
Join “TEN-India” if you believe in equity and justice irrespective of gender!
Join “TEN-India” to oppose gender war!
TEN-India is the youth wing of All India Forgotten Women’s Association (AIFWA)
Click on the image below for printable version: